Monday, January 28, 2013

Stocking The Pantry

As I whined about mentioned over the last couple of weeks I've been battling the flu. It became a struggle just get to cover the essentials, so non-essential things fell to the wayside. I've spent the last couple of days trying to get everything back on track in the house- laundry, cleaning, groceries, projects.

When I checked the kitchen this morning we were basically down to a couple of apples, half a gallon of milk, some hummus, half a jar of salsa, and a box of pasta.

Uh-oh.

I started to think about pantry essentials. What do I need to feel "stocked" and avoid takeout runs. I asked some friends. Cheese and frozen pizza topped the list.

Personally? I need cheese, eggs, potatoes, onions, garlic, pasta, lentils, beans, and canned tomatoes. With these things on hand I can make anything ranging from an omelet to chili, and could conceivably make something to eat in about ten minutes (add in tortillas to this list and I'd really be in business). Oh, and milk. (Because of J's medical issues, milk is his primary food. Most days he drinks milk and I cook for myself.)

What about you guys? What pantry staples are must haves in your house so you can produce dinner?

6 comments:

  1. For me, it has to be fresh veggies and chicken. Those are the main things I can eat these days. It sucks going to the store more than once a week, but I can handle it. Good luck with your grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as long as I have pasta and sauce I'm good, I can doctor up some jarred sauce with extra herbs and seasonsing and make something delicious. last night was simply bowtie pasta with alfredo sauce and since it was a meat free day at our house I sauted up some onions, peppers and mushrooms to add to it. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours is rice, chicken, tomatoes, potatoes, onion and garlic. My kiddo insists on buttered bread and apples daily. We also always have milk on-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm-bread, peanuts, some sort of dessert, granola bars, and cereal bars, and popcorn. I am embarrassed by the processedness of that list. Pancake mix, potatoes, applesauce, peanut butter- we don't eat a lot of heavy foods, but I could do better on the fresh foods front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is a HUGE milk fiend. SO milk always has to be stocked. Some of my staples are pasta, marinara sauce, bread, ground beef and chicken. I havemany other items that are staples but I'll keep it short for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should ask! Out at the lake I always try and keep 6 eggs or so, pancake mix, cream of chicken soup, frozen hash browns, cream of mushroom soup, a can or 2 of green beans. I keep some bacon and sausage in the freezer, cheese, popping corn, butter, water and instant mashed potatoes. I can pretty much throw together a casserole, or breakfast with these things. Casseroles are. GREAT For arrival late on Friday nights, just mix some things together turn the oven to 350, and bake until bubbly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting (it makes me feel less like I am just over here, talking to myself!). Comments are approved as quickly as possible. Seriously, I am trying to teach Emily to approve comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Me!

 photo 6_zps494de5b6.jpg  photo 2_zps2ba59d0e.jpg