Friday, January 4, 2013

House Stalking On New Things for the New Year

I'm sure you guys have all picked up on the fact that I'm not really a new house person. I like old houses for lots of reasons. Not that new houses aren't beautiful. Many of them are. So I thought I'd feature new construction for the first House Stalking of the New Year.

Infill housing refers to houses built long after the majority of housing in the neighborhood was constructed. In my opinion, most infill housing looks awful. People construct large Tuscan-style villa McMansions on streets full of turn of last century cottages. Not a good look.

Grant Park is a wonderful in-town Atlanta neighborhood with great restaurants (Six Feet Under!) and in walking distance to the actual Grant Park and Zoo Atlanta. As a desirable intown neighborhood, it is no stranger to infill housing.



All photos from Realtor.com 
The listing calls the house "Craftsman" which...okay. The neighborhood is full of Craftsmen style homes, but it also has lots of what I think of as Early Twentieth Century Vernacular Construction. This house falls more into that category, in my opinion, but it is completely adorable.



Love the deep front porch (I'd go with a black wicker loveseat and rocker). Painting porch ceilings blue is an old southern tradition. What's the purpose behind it? It's believe to both protect the house against haunts and the blue color keeps spider from spinning webs on the porch. Either way, I like. The leaded glass numbers embedded in the front door is a nice, Craftsman-y touch.


The foyer. The paneled door shows nice attention to detail.



 The living room, which is open to the dining room and kitchen.


The dining room, with batten board paneling and an absolutely fantastic built-in china cabinet. Leaded glass doors! Crystal knobs! And check out the windows! They really look like old house windows. Love it. 

Who ever designed this house did a a great job with almost all the permanent fixtures and most of the other design choices, but the chandelier was not the best choice. Maybe a more Craftsman style fixture like this or this? Even a Tiffany style chandelier would work in this space.



 I think this is the downstairs bath. The tile wall is a little trendy, but everything else looks classic.


 This (upstairs hall?) bath sports classic black and white tile and equally classic fixtures.


So this bathroom is so awesome I'm just going to imagine my steam shower and long, hot bath. Love the double sinks and restrained luxury. 


The screened in porch on the first floor runs the width of the house. The master bedroom has its own screened porch upstairs.


So I am absolutely in love with this house, right? I mean, if I won the lottery tomorrow and bought it the only change I'd make is the dining room light fixture. It's a great, great house.

And then I saw the picture of the kitchen. The whole house is brilliantly designed to recall the past while incorporating modern life and luxuries (open living room, the amazing master bath). So why does the kitchen look like 2012 threw up all over it? I personally think super dark cabinetry is going to look dated fast. There's also the matter of the very busy backsplash and equally busy granite countertops. Also...boob light. I don't understand the thinking here. Wouldn't white cabinets with a creamy marble tile backsplash and white granite counters with softer pattern work better with the over all style of the house?

Still, this a beautiful house in a great neighborhood and a great example of good infill housing.


11 comments:

  1. On the downside, you're one of the first in line in case the tigers break out....no, seriously, that's an adorable house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's scarier, the tigers breaking out or the Federal pen down the road? Seriously, though, I love Grant Park.

      Delete
  2. I have such a pet peeve when a house is full of character and charm and perfect to it's history... EXCEPT THE KITCHEN. It's horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? They did such a nice job...except the kitchen. I don't even understand.

      Delete
  3. excuse me... i need to go for a rather long drive to their screen porch. so i can drool all over it. See in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we will definitely go to lunch when you get here!

      Delete
  4. I actually really love this house...except the kitchen. Come on! They had such a good opportunity to do a light bright kitchen with an apron sink and vintage subway tiles. It would have worked much better. But the porch would make it worth the kitchen reno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think a white kitchen with classic details would be an absolute no-brainer for this kitchen, so I'm not sure why they went in the direction they did. Plus, even if the kitchen matched the house, I think the backsplash tile and counters clash horribly. Both are so busy!

      Delete
  5. Huh, never knew the reason behind blue porch ceilings and I've lived in Atlanta nearly all my life. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I've lived here my whole life and didn't learn the reason until I took a history of architecture class.

      Delete
  6. Being from the South myself, I've seen the blue porch ceilings being sponge painted with white to represent clouds, and the whole ceiling looks like the sky. Very relaxing and beautiful, even on a gray day.
    Also agree whole heartedly with the awful detour that kitchen took. Disastrous! It's like the kitchen was done by someone who just popped in from a whole new neighborhood of super-contemporary nightmares to do this kitchen on the side, and forgot to gear back on the century! Totally awful with the overly dark depressing cabinets, the so so busy, clashing back-splash and counter tops. It just screams for mercy in the form of an apron sink, white cabinets, and a subway tile back-splash and maybe a nice, lightly colorful retro countertop in Formica! (Just a thought - maybe not Formica - but almost anything is better than that granite nightmare it has right now.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting (it makes me feel less like I am just over here, talking to myself!). Comments are approved as quickly as possible. Seriously, I am trying to teach Emily to approve comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Me!

 photo 6_zps494de5b6.jpg  photo 2_zps2ba59d0e.jpg