Monday, November 11, 2013

Super Affordable Mid-Century Modern Style Beds

Original Photo From Retro Ranch.

I feel like I've been searching for the perfect bed forever. Or, you know, at least a year. (Yes, our current bed is held up with a concrete block from the tragic bed breaking incident of 2012.)

I mean, am I asking to much to find an affordable, comfortable bed with mid-century styling?

Maybe. What do I want specifically? Something comfortable, some with a low profile, and a wooden or upholstered frame. I don't want a headboard with a metal bedframe.

Here are my current favorites.

From Macy's.
The Kyle bed from Macy's hits a lot of MCM benchmarks. Tapered legs. Upholstered headboard. Nice, low profile. Finding a bed where the headboard isn't taller than I am has been a major challenge. Super high headboards are fantastic in homes with high ceilings. In homes with 8-foot ceilings? No. The headboard, especially on a modern styled bed, shouldn't be 5-feet tall.

ANYWAY. The line of button tufting is also really classic. Nice. Around $999 without a sale; currently $799.

From CB2

Here's the CB2 Andes bed. I like that it's not upholstered. I like that it's so structural and full of function.  I think it's an interesting, modern twist on mid-century bookshelf beds. However, I think the flat piece behind the mattress will make it more comfortable than the bookcase headboard beds (those were not awesome for lounging). The whole look is very boutique hotel chic, with a nice callback to mid-twentieth century roadside motels. That works for me. Currently retails for $849.

From Crate and Barrel

Crate and Barrel offers up the Isaac Charcoal Bed. As far as beds go, especially modern ones, it's really affordable, with even the king size ringing in at around $500. It's also really, really simple. The simplicity of the bed would look fantastic with more rococo or baroque sixties or seventies style dresser or other bedroom furniture.

From Amazon

Remember how I mentioned I don't want a headboard/metal bed frame (I think they are called Boston frames, which brings back memories of my Boston back brace/scoliosis/middle school hell). Here's an affordable wooden bed frame from Amazon.

I love this. NOW I could buy some super awesome headboard from the thrift store, and still have a nice wooden bed frame. Especially if you are up for restraining one of the elements (and if the headboard was in good shape, I'd go with modifying the new frame!) or repainting both if the headboard is in bad shape, it could look fantastic.

This option appeals to me because although more and more mid-century styled furniture is available for purchase, I'm not really seeing the low profile wooden headboards with interesting, organic details.

Like this one.

From eBay.
I've actually read bloggers report finding Broyhill Brasilia headboards on the side of the road or in thrift stores. This has never happened to me. But just look at those lines!

Also from eBay.
Here's another classic headboard shape you can find fairly frequently. A simple, divided Danish Modern style wooden headboard. This one is from Dixie Furniture, who did lots of great knockoffs of mid-century and Danish modern during the twentieth century.

Of course, if you are up for vintage (and you are willing to spend between $500-$1000 anyway) you could go all in and just buy a complete vintage bed.

And? eBay again.

Maybe you'll be extremely lucky and find a complete Heywood-Wakefield bed. Sigh. Look at the pretty! This is a double, but queen size beds come up fairly regularly and complete vintage king beds even show up on occasion.

What kind of bed do you prefer? Did you get a great deal?












7 comments:

  1. I really like that CB2 bed! And there's no shame in having a bed held up by a cinder block. When Aaron and I were first married, the bed we had had a broken leg. That side of the bed was held up by a stack of books. We had it that way until we moved into our house and got a new bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I super love that first ebay one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that CB2 bed is so, so similar to the Malm we have now--- it worked great for a few years, but now after moving and re-assembling several times it's really beaten up and we switched to regular nightstands with the malm bed frame (until we can upgrade). one day I'll live in a world that has no cats and upholstered beds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, we are in exactly the same situation with our Malm. The nightstands didn't make it through the move, but the bed it's self has been bullet proof. The huge problem with the Malm that I don't see with that CB2 version, is that the mattress is recessed down into it. Our Tempurpedic mattress weighs a ton so lifting the corners out to get a fitted sheet in there is back breaking and knuckle busting two-person job. I do not recco this combo.

    Has anyone actually pulled the trigger on one of these vintage headboards? I am curious how to attach one to a platform bed frame, and what bed frame would work/look best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we moved into our current home, the previous residents gave us a set of furniture for our guest room. They didn't want to move it and didn't have room for it. It was mcm and pretty...later we looked inside and realized it was Broyhill's Emphasis line. A long dresser, mirror, chest of drawers, a full bed with rails and footboard, and one nightstand! We have a king bed, though, so we are on the hunt for a king mcm headboard...

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we moved into our current home, the previous residents gave us a set of furniture for our guest room. They didn't want to move it and didn't have room for it. It was mcm and pretty...later we looked inside and realized it was Broyhill's Emphasis line. A long dresser, mirror, chest of drawers, a full bed with rails and footboard, and one nightstand! We have a king bed, though, so we are on the hunt for a king mcm headboard...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting (it makes me feel less like I am just over here, talking to myself!). Comments are approved as quickly as possible. Seriously, I am trying to teach Emily to approve comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Me!

 photo 6_zps494de5b6.jpg  photo 2_zps2ba59d0e.jpg